The Newcomers’ Party, organized by Neva Jo Sheaffer, City Hostess, was held on January 28, 1950, in Harmony Hall, 820 Fifth Street, Santa Rosa, California. There were 36 Newcomers present with 11 states represented. An election of officers was held March 1950 and a Newcomers’ Club was formed. With the increase in membership, it was necessary to move to a larger facility.
With the excellent leadership of all the talented Presidents, their Board Members, Group and Committee Chairs and all the members, many Interest Groups have been added to promote the friendly purpose of the Club.
The guidance and dedication of founder Neva Jo Sheaffer has been enjoyed since the Club’s inception. Her efforts were publicly acknowledged with a Tree Planting Ceremony and bronze plaque dedicated in her honor at City Hall on May 5, 1992.
The 45th anniversary of the Newcomers’ Club of Santa Rosa was celebrated at a gala party at The Villa Restaurant on April 25, 1995. The year 2000 marked the 50th anniversary with a special celebration at the Flamingo Hotel and the 60th was celebrated March 2010 with a festive luncheon at the Fountaingrove Country Club.
Throughout the years, membership and the spirit of making new friendships have grown. The initial philosophy of introducing new arrivals to the highlights of the area now encompasses being welcoming and friendly to all residents of Sonoma County.